How to configure your domain with DigitalOcean DNS for use on ImprovMX
1. Go to your ImprovMX dashboard at https://app.improvmx.com then locate the domain in question (we will use improvmx.ml for this example) and click on it to enter the domain settings menu.
2. Scroll down to the MX entries section. This shows the two DNS MX records you will need to add on your DNS control panel. Click on the value at the right hand side - this will copy it to the clipboard for use in the next step.
3. Go to your DigitalOcean dashboard then go to Networking > Domains and choose the domain you will be using with ImprovMX. As we will be creating an MX record, click the MX tab.
4. In the hostname field, enter @ .
5. In the Mail Providers Mail Server field, paste the value you copied to the clipboard earlier (
6. In the Priority field enter 10.
7. Leave the TTL field as the default and click Create Record.
8. Go back to the ImprovMX dashboard and click on the 2nd MX record value to copy it to the clipboard.
9. Back in DigitalOcean, start creating the 2nd MX record by entering @ in the Hostname field.
10. Paste the value you copied earlier (
mx2.improvmx.com.) into the Mail Providers Mail Server field.
11. In the Priority field, enter 20.
12. Leave the TTL as default and click Create Record to save the 2nd MX record.
13. Go back to the ImprovMX dashboard and look for the SPF records section. Click the Recommended Value to copy it to the clipboard.
14. Back in DigitalOcean, click the TXT tab.
15. Paste the SPF value (
v=spf1 include:spf.improvmx.com ~all) into the Value field.
16. Enter @ in the Hostname field.
17. Leave the TTL as default and click Create Record to save.
18. That's it! Now you just have to wait for the DNS changes to propagate, which can take up to 24 - 48 hours, although normally much sooner. Once our system has detected the DNS changes we'll notify you and you'll be ready to go! If you're feeling lucky you can try going back to the ImprovMX dashboard and click Check Again in case the changes are picked up straight away!
19. The domain will show Email forwarding active when the DNS changes have propagated successfully.
Still have questions?
If you have any other queries please get in touch with our support team.